Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, May 28, 2010

What's In A Name

I’ll tell you what’s in a name… STRESS! I mean seriously! Matthew and I have know that we are having a baby for like 7 months and even the inkling of a name is unthinkable! It’s so easy to name pets, but somehow the thought of naming a human is much more daunting. Probably because you have to think about the name/nickname/how could the kid be teased… oh the pressure! Matthew and I lay in bed last night and brained stormed a little. Do you know where we got? NO WERE! I mean we were seriously grasping at straws by the end of our little session…. So much so that I grabbed a few of the closest book for inspiration (which included one on dragonflies, one on American birds and good camping places in California). We still are no closer to a name unless we are going to go with ‘green darner,’ ‘American Wigeon,’ or ‘Huntington Lake.’ Sigh! The name game did get pretty funny by the time we wrapped it up. We had progressed from considering normal/traditional names to things like “Dump station number 55”. No, we weren’t serious, but we were laughing a lot. So besides the fact that we are no closer to naming our little one, we had a great time thinking about it!

8 comments:

liz said...

so funny! Sean was just asking me if you guys had picked names... good to know that the conversations have started!!! :) How did the appt. go yesterday? Love you!
Liz

Janie said...

I'm sorry. It can be quite challenging. I'm just glad you decided against Dump Station Number 55 because everyone would call him 55 and that would be terrible :). Ok Dump would be worse.

When Shane and I would do the name picking thing he would always spend the whole time thinking of huge, outrageous Spanish names (real helpful). You'll get it. When all else fails Shane and I try to go with family names because then they are so meaningful. Or you can use Janie. It can go either way. :)

Good luck!! :)

Speciale said...

I have NO idea how Joe and I came to an agreement on a name this early. Its not official, but it was all luck, that's all I can say! Actually, everytime we'd sit down and brain storm, we NEVER agreed. Out of the blue one day one of us mentioned eli, we both liked it but didn't think about it much because at the time we didn't know the sex. Well a few weeks ago the name came up again from Joe's sister-again out of the blue! After tues. ultrasound, we fell in love with it. Anyway, so i have no advice, or suggestions, it was all luck! so here's to a lot of it for you guys.:)

dalendawn727 said...

Some people use the name of somebody that had a great influence on their life, so may I suggest Strawberry Shortcake or Cookie Monster?
Dad

Brianna said...

Well, since Jake renamed the kittens to Lightening McQueen and Tiger: Simon or Garfunkel is available for use. Your welcome.

familyof5 said...

I totally feel your pain!!! I almost wish that naming kids was not the parents job, and that way no one could get mad at anyone later on in life....
Good luck! I do have some good books if you want to borrow them...and they are not camping books!

Anonymous said...

You'd be surprised how many people don't pick a name til the baby is born and they have to put on the birth certificate!!

Anonymous said...

anonymous is Auntie Amada