Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, May 2, 2011

Preston Thomas Scott

This weekend I was blessed! I got to be a part of an experience that I will NEVER forget! There may be nothing that is as amazing as actually delivering your own baby.... but being part of the delivery itself comes very, very close!

One of my closest friends, Brianna Scott, asked if I wanted to be past of her birthing team. Ok, she didn't really say it like that, it was more like, 'hey you can be in the room if you want.' But in my head it was like she was bestowing some great hidden secret to me... and I was SOOOOOO excited! I mean excited to the point that I couldn't sleep the night before her induction!!!! Her silly little man was 3 days late and showing NO signs of wanting to exit. So Friday night she and Brian (her hubby) checked into the hospital to try and 'smoke' the baby out... a.k.a induce labor. I got the to hospital at 9 am Saturday morning all ready for the great adventure. As the amount of Pitocin was upped and upped we all would get more and more anxious. Convinced that with THIS increase real labor was bound to start. After 6 hours of a lot of nothin' but the regular contractions she had been having all day, I left for about 2 1/2 hours to eat, rest and see my family. Then I got a text saying they had broke her water!!!! Woohoo! I had Matthew rush me over (we were grocery shopping), leaving my poor husband with groceries and a hungry and very wet baby! But being part of Bries baby adventure was my top priority at that point!


Brie was a champ! She labored for only 2 hours (once the water was broke). She and Brian were a perfect pair, they would hug onto each other and breath together while I rubbed her back/sides/arms.... any body part that I had access too. :) Brie has had 2 beautiful kids already, so she knows how to labor and is a total pro at pushing these notoriously big babies out... but for both of those she had an epidural. This time, for whatever reason she didn't! And let me tell you she was AMAZING! Her composure, her focus, her ability to follow directions! She was a true champion! I'll save you all the details, since it's not my story to fully tell, but both she and Brian were wonderful!


And in the end they were holding a perfect 9 pound 6 ounce 22 inch long baby! I was overcome with emotion, watching a baby enter the world has got to be one of the most phenomenal things ever! It is a true miracle! I now see why my mom loves her job so much. I felt like I was on such a natural high afterwards. I was tired, yet wide awake and I couldn't stop smiling!


Brie, thank you for letting me be there and be a part of the beautiful birth of Preston! I feel so honored!

3 comments:

Janie said...

Oh my, that is just awesome. What a neat experience. I'm so glad you were with her. He is so beautiful! Thanks for telling the story from your perspective. I hope I can come see all of you before Brie moves!!!

Brianna said...

Wow. Couldn't have said it better myself. So....ditto ;)

Jessie--you were magnificent. I am so glad that you were there! All the the "fuh, fuh, fuh..." breathing. Don't think I'll ever forget :)

Speciale said...

Well I am certianly impressed, and what a beautiful (and big!) baby boy. Birth is a beautiful thing, that is awesome that you got be a part of it!