Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, July 23, 2010

Is Ignorance Bliss?

Little Mallory Rose spent the first 3 and a 1/2 days of her life being showered with visitors and love. I mean everyone seemed to want to come by for a little Mallory snuggle (and honestly, I can't blame them, because I can’t get enough and I live with her)! Grandma Dawn (Nawnie)












Grandpa Dale (Booboo)












Grandma Joyce (Nonie or Nona)

Grandpa Robert (Papa Klein)

Great Grandma Lauralee (Beena)

Uncles, friends and neighbors!
















This sadly all came to a screeching halt Monday afternoon, Which is when Matthew and I learned about the Whooping Cough epidemic that is currently flooding Sonoma/Marin county! (The epicenter is Marin, due to the fact that a great number of parents DO NOT believe in vaccinating their kids… then they wonder why this very old virus has made a HUGE comeback... sorry I had to vent). Not only are people getting sick, but infants (especially newborns are actually dying)! Yicks! Last year there were only 6 cases, this year there have already been over 200 (not deaths, just sicknesses)! Because of this we are being told by Doctors, nurses, hospitals, pharmacists and the news (and we always listen to what the T.V. tells us), that ANYONE who comes into close contact with infants NEEDS to have a recent Tdap Vaccine (which covers Pertusis)! So now (sadly) Matthew and I have turned into kill-joy parents and have had to ask that people either check their vaccination status or just go and get poked again if they want to come and play with Mallory! The other sad, but understandable thing is that we have been told that it is REALLY important not to take her to any places where there could be sick people (gee, that's really easy to know by just looking at people)... so basically no grocery stores, malls, pharmacy’s, restaurants... and even church! It's sad... though I know that it would be much more heart wrenching if our sweet and happy little girl was sick for 3 months (or worse) with whooping cough. So with the Moto of "Better Safe Than Sorry" we are asking people to PLEASE get vaccinated and then come and play! (Because I am going to go stir-crazy if I never have visitors/ don't ever get to leave). Plus she is WAY too cute not to come and snuggle with! Thank you all for respecting this request and I hope to see you soon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job explaining this Jessica! Mallory is definitely worth getting a little poke for! I wish all new moms were being as cautious as you! Love Nawnie

Anonymous said...

For those of us who have had whooping cough already, THAT gives you a lifetime immunity even tho I was under five when it happened. Mallory Rose is a living doll! Beena

Speciale said...

I'm with you 100%, its worth being stubborn and protective!

bree said...

oma and i are wondering what age she wouldnt be susceptibal anymore to getting sick?

Janie said...

Hey, nice post. Playing it smart is a smart idea. Shane and I don't take our infants anywhere for 6-8 weeks so when I have a baby I have to get substitutes for my jobs at church and what not. It is a little crazy for mom. :) I can't believe how many visitors you had!!!! Outside the family, you and Brie are it for me for 8 weeks. That's a lot of love. People were so excited for you and Matthew to have this little one. :)

More pictures of her young lady. :)

Bob and Dottie's Big Adventure said...

I am so happy that my brother is keeping the name "Boo Boo" alive and connected with a loving grandfather. Dad is looking down with a very big smile on his face!!! My love to all, Aunt Dottie

lowrain said...

what a beautiful baby Mallory is.
Good job guys. I knew you had it in ya
Marilyn B

M. Maudlin said...

I don't know ALL the details of the story (ask my mom) but when I was a newborn they took me EVERYWHERE and I ended up in the ICU at a week or two old with wires all attached to me because I had ___(something I can't remember the name of)_____. I'm glad you guys are making sure little Mallory is staying safe!

I'm also going to check on that shot because I'm coming home for 2 days in a couple weeks and I want to say hi! <3