Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Birth Story

Ok, Ok, Ok I know I haven't updated the blog in a few days, but I have had my hands full! I'll try to be better, but no promises.
So I guess I’ll start from the beginning and catch you all up.
At 12:52 a.m. on Thursday July 15th I got up from bed to pee (shocker) and I bent over the sink to get some water (yes, like a cat drinking from the sink) and my water broke! I woke Matthew up, called the Dr. (who said I needed to start heading into the hospital because of the risk of infection because the water has broken) and called my mom. We got into the hospital at about 2:15 where I was monitored for contractions and our little baby’s heart rate was closely watched. Unfortunately I did not start having regular strong contractions (despite fast walking inside, outside and up and down lots and lots of stairs).
So at about 1 pm I agreed to have some IV pitocin (which stimulates contractions)... despite the fact that I was hopeing to be totally drug free. But at around 12 hours post water breaking the risk of infection really goes us, so since our litle ones safty was more important then the 'birth plan' I said go ahead. Let me tell you, it worked GREAT and within an hour I finally started to have some much more regular contractions. At about 3:30 pm I finally started "True" labor. I had CRAZY bad back labor, but Matthew and my Mom were GREAT through it all and really helped me focus on things other than the pain. I couldn't even lay down without it feeling like I was getting my spine ripped outward and pulled inward all at the same time (for those of you thinking of/going to have a baby soon...I mean it was a piece of cake and totally pain-free). Despite the pain I was able to resist any drugs and just worked through it and I am SO lad that I did. The whole 'natural birth' (asside from the pitocin) was truly amazing... and I highly recomend it for those of you that like to tourture yourselves for any length of time! :) The labor went really fast and I went from being 2 to 3 cm dilated to 5 in about 2 hours, then from 5 to 8 in literally 2 minutes! Ouch! Then it took about another 30-ish minutes to finally get to 10 cm! At that point I pushed for 50 minutes!!!!! Her head just didn't want to fully emerge. (It was supper cool, they set up a mirror so I could watch and touch her little head during the entire process)! I was starting to tear, so the Dr. gave me a very small episiotomy and then with the next push, out came our little one! I got to reach down and help pull her up/out and directly skin to skin onto my chest at 7:36 pm! It was then that we realized that Matthew and I had a Sweet little girl to raise and love! It was incredible how the pain just completely disappeared and was TOTALLY replaced by deep, almost aching love! Matthew did a great job throughout the entire time (and never even passed out). He even was able to cut the umbilical cord! Pretty sure that she already has him wrapped around her tiny fingers! Our little girl came out weighing 7 pounds on the money and was 20.5 inches long! Our long and lean little girl. All in all the experience was great and I can't believe that at the end of it all we have this beautiful, perfect little baby girl!
Matthew and I had NO idea of what to call our little baby girl, so that night in the postpartum room our nurse gave us a book called 50,001 baby names. We found a few names that we liked then came upon the name 'Mallory'... not only did we really like the name, but its meaning is "Strong Minded and Spunky"! As soon as we read the meaning Matthew and I knew that this was the PERFECT name for our little girl. Because with the combination of both of our genes, she will indeed be both very strong minded and spunky! So there you go, that’s the birth story of our little Mallory Rose Klein!

1 comment:

Speciale said...

That was amazing! And I swear I only heard "a piece of cake and totally pain free." haha :) Now I'm even more excited, and definatly nervous, lol. Hopefully hypnobirthing will pay off! Little Mallory is so sweet, congrats!