Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Too Soon!?!?!?!

I am both shocked and frightened by Mallory's newest 'trick'. Starting yesterday, when she pees or poops she is grabbing at her diaper and whining. When I ask her did you go potty/do we need to change your diaper/do you need to go potty..., instead of leading me down to her changing table (like she had been doing), she is leading me to MY BATHROOM and patting to 'Big Girl Potty'. I thought it was a fluke... but she's still doing it. Yesterday I started placing her on the 'big girl potty' after she leads me to it. She has yet to actually go potty in the potty (since it seems like each time she has just gone in her diaper), but still, I'm kind of freaking out here! I have been going potty in front of her since she was born, and always have 'talked' my way through what I was doing (pulling down pants, going potty, wiping, flushing, washing hands) and she has always listened and watched very intently. But I have no idea how to really potty train a kid, yet alone a 14 month baby! But those (acting uncomfortable after going potty, associating going to the bathroom with the toilet, and waking up dry (sometimes) after a nap) are signs that she's starting to get ready for the actual training, right? So any advice you guys have, tips on type of potty chairs, techniques... especially when dealing with a young-one, would be LOVED!!!!! I kept joking about how it would be great if Mallory was potty trained by the time this next one arrived.... but I NEVER thought that it may actually happen!!!!! Fingers crossed.

7 comments:

Speciale said...

Are you kidding me?! This is a super exciting possibility for you and I'm totally jealous. I'm sure Eli will never be ready that young, but I can dream right?

Janie said...

I have a couple friends that had children who were fully potty trained at 18mo. You may want to start timing after she drinks and sit her on the potty 20 min or so after she has had a bit to drink. That is awesome!!! and amazing that she is already closely correlating peeing and the toilet. She will be trained in no time! Smart girl.

I answered your question on my blog :)

Jessica said...

HA HA! Getting a 14 month old to sit focus for 20 minutes it a supper funny thought! Her attention span is more like 3-5 minutes. :) The girl has people to see and places to go!

Brianna said...

Better to start now before she's three and completely refuses to talk about or acknowledge the need for potty training. Go for it!

familyof5 said...

My two cents? Give it a try, but if she isn't into it, don't force it. If you do, YOU will be the one who is potty training, not her. I just let mine call the shots on it. And, since I waited until they were ready, I didn't have to clean up pee on the carpet, or poop out of the pants. Once they were ready, they didn't have any accidents.
Also, just fyi, they will always have to go RIGHT when you sit down to nurse! LOL!!!!!!
Good luck! (I hate potty training, by the way!!!)

Janie said...

I don't mean sit her down for 20 min, I mean sit her down on the potty 20 min after he has had a lot to drink. I have never put a child on the toilet for 20 min. :)

Brianna said...

Suuuure, Janie... We must call you Janie "Child Abuser" Chapman for nothing then...