Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 16, 2011

Not Too Perfect

Just the other day, my friend (who has a beautiful 2 month old little boy) asked me 'how I am able to get it all done in a day.' My answer was something like 'keeping to a schedule... blah, blah, blah... eating earlier then we used to... blah, blah, blah.' Well later that evening I started thinking that though I would like to feel like I DO get it all done everyday (and my answer sure made it sound like I do)... I really don't! I'm not perfect! Shocking I know. I realized that I don't know a single person who truly gets it all done every day. It's impossible! On any give night we try and prioritize what's important (eating diner together, reading bedtime books, bath time, relaxing...) and all the other stuff either happens, or is doesn't! I mean, there are nights when the dishes might sit in the sink, we might order burritos instead of a home cooked meal, the hair on the floor gets ignored, the husband isn't always as 'happy' as he could be, the dog might not get out for a walk, and the laundry might get wrinkled as it's waiting to get folded. But the truly important things get taken care of. And at the end of the day we are all (most of the time) still smiling.
With that in mind... I started thinking about being that 'perfect mom' and how I fail sometimes. I mean we all do. And we all beat ourselves up over it... way more then we need to. Because looking back on my childhood, I'm sure that there were times when my mom felt less then perfect... and beat herself up about how she did (or didn't) do something... but I cant think of one time that I remember thinking "wow my mom blew it!' To me, mom was a super mom and was that 'perfect' mom. So I guess that's just something I'll have to remember for the next 18 (plus) years... that even though I think I may be screwing up, Mallory (hopefully) will think that I'm perfect!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, Mallory DOES have the perfect mom, and so do you. You both are the most wonderful women I know!!! That being said, you will always think you could have done better, and it's that kind of thinking that does make us better...and a little neurotic. And speaking of perfect women, remember what they say...Behind every great woman.....

Jessica said...

Behind every great woman
... Is a wonderful mother?
...Is a wonderful daughter?
...Is a faithful dog?
... Is an amazing booty?
Not sure what the end of that sentince it... :)

Janie said...

AMEN!! Great post!!!! I am also getting a good chuckle at your quote endings. you guys are funny. I'm glad your dad is a commenter!

Michelle said...

Well said my dear!!

Michelle said...

Oh & I think I know who that beautiful baby boy is! Thanks for saying so!! ;-)