Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 15, 2010

The Little "Stinker"

Big news...on Friday night I felt the little Gremlin move for the first time! Matthew, Dad and I were at a crab feed, and I looked over at Matthew all wide-eyed and said; "I think I just felt the baby!" The baby must like crab! Now every day since then I have been feeling it more and more. I don't know if it's because I now know what it is I am supped to feel, or if it's that the baby is getting bigger... probably a combo of them both. People say that it's the best feeling... but I'm not convincedIt's such a new/different feeling (that doesn't really feel natural yet) that each time it happens I get a little nervous.!
I'm sure as I feel the little one more and the movement becomes more defined I'll start enjoying it. I can't help but have that momentary worry that something is wrong when I feel a strange twingey/fluttery feeling inside. STRANGESo our little one is now 17 weeks old. Can you believe it? This week I have dubbed it "the little stinker" because it's about 5.1 inches long, the size of a large onion! Stretched out it would be 9 inches! WOW! It weighs about 5 1/2 oz now (which is a HUGE jump form the 3 1/2 that it weighed only a week ago)! The reason for the jump in weight is that it's soft cartilage-like bones are turning to hard bone! I'm not sure how the babies bones hardening has transferred to my derriere getting larger... but I figure if Matthew is not complaining then I shouldn't either... right? So the baby is also swallowing about 1 liter of amniotic fluid each day, as a result it's starting to accumulate meconium. (I guess we need to start getting ready for poo. Lots and lots of poo). The babies retinas are now very sensitive to light (though the eyelids still are fused closed), and it's sweat glands are developing.
Oh I have a question... have any of you heard of "G diapers"? What do you think? Sounds like a great compromise of disposable and cloth.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Jess, It's the onion you're showing that is causing that moving around feeling. When I get that feeling, a couple of Rolaids and everything is back on track. Just kidding, wait until Matt can feel the baby move, you two can really share some neat times. When it's really fun is when you can watch you stomach move. Scott and Derek looked like a sack of cats.
Uncle Bob

Janie said...

Yay!! I'm glad you felt him :) Just my guess. lol. I love your new nick name for the baby although I'm not sure he will like it. You are so clever, stinky like an onion. :)

What are G diapers?

Speciale said...

It is increasingly more and more intruiging to read your blog about the "stinker" if ya know what I mean (cough cough)! If you were expecting yourself, you should just add your web address to your list of what to expect! :)