Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 25, 2011

WOW! It Works

You know how Matthew and I have been 'teaching' Mallory sign language from day one, right? Not whole sentences, just little worlds (please, momma, daddy, hungry, more, thank you, water...) you know, the basics. Well, yesterday I had her in her highchair and was getting ready to feed her when she started signing 'more' over and over again and opened her mouth. I thought maybe she was just trying to clap because she was just so excited about eating (do you blame her, sometimes I feel like clapping too). But through the coarse of her meal she did it a few more times. I kept saying, 'more' to her and feeding her a bite each time she did it... but still I was not convinced that she was actually signing that she wanted more food.
But sure enough, this morning as soon as I had fed her her first bite of oatmeal she quickly swallowed, opened her mouth again and signed 'more'! I'm kind of shocked! I know that this is the POINT of teaching babies sign language...you know, getting them to communicate before they can verbally communicate... but I guess I just wasn't really prepared for how cool it would be to have her expressing what she wants without even talking!
Soooo cool!
And speaking of talking.... Mallory's vocabulary is growing all the time. On top of her adorable non-senseical babbling, she now says, Momma, Dada, Baba, Bye-bye, Hi and as of Friday, Book!!!!

5 comments:

dalendawn727 said...

I do believe she is smarter than her Grandpa....here's your sign!

Janie said...

That is seriously AWESOME and really fun. You must be proud of your little communicator. Now here's the trick we should have done with Liv. Don't teach her to talk out loud. It will save you a lot of grief later!! :) hahahahahaha

Katie said...

That is SO cool! Go Mallory!

Speciale said...

oh my goodness that is SO cool!! I am very impressed and motivated to start that asap! What great parents you guys are :)

Zelda said...

Cindy taught Johnny sign language and it helped this grandma to know what he wanted when I had him with me and she was not around. I find it quite amazing and it is much less frustrating for them when they cannot talk. Good Job all of you!!