Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Great Excape!

So lately I have been finding (and plucking out) more and more grey hairs. I don't feel more stressed or anything, but I think that events like last nights are adding to the silver coloring.
After little Miss Mallory’s bath, Matthew and I took her into her bedroom to get dressed for bed. After she enjoyed a little 'free' time (nakedness) Matthew was going to get her into her P.J.s and I walked down to the kitchen to stir dinner... that's when I heard the baby start to cry and Matthew yell out "Jessica? Can you come help me.... PLEASE?!?!?" The please at the end of the sentence kind of made me think that it wasn't a big deal... like maybe he needed help putting on her diaper (since she is wiggles all over now), but then Mallory let out a high-pitched, blood curtailing cry. I raced down to her room to find Mallory, red-faced on all fours on her dressing table with one thigh caught in the gap that the top of the table and decorative bar create! Poor Matthew was trying to support her from sinking deeper into the gap, while simultaneously attempting to rip the thick wood rod out!
This is what makes Matthew and I such a great pair....In these situations I get uber calm and Matthew seems to turn into Superman, ready to tear things apart, or run and get anything I ask for!
I gently tried to tug her leg out... but her thick little ham-hock was not going to budge and her screaming just intensified! My next thought was lubrication! So I told him to get some soap. Matthew took off like lightning, but in mid-sprint I changed my mind and asked for the lotion (which was sitting next to us on the changing table). He grabbed the lotion, opened it and attempted to cover her leg in Bert-Bees baby lotion.... but none would come out! He shook it down. Still none would come out!!! So he took the bottle and flung it downward, spraying the mirror, crib, and carpet with a thick layer of lotion! He then poured it all over her leg while I attempted to rub it between the changing table and her thick thighs. Then with just a little tug, POP! Just like that she was free. Her leg was as red as her little face but she immediately snuggled into my neck and almost just as quickly stopped crying.
So that was our fun family adventure for the night. Thankfully it didn't have to come down to breaking the changing table apart... which I know Matthew would have and could have done in a second if I would have just asked. :)

4 comments:

Brianna said...

Oh my! So much excitement in your house!

This reminds me of when Jacob got his leg stuck through the slats in his crib. Brian wasn't home and I thought first about taking a hack saw to the crib. But, with a little tweaking and wiggling, I was able to free him without destroying the furniture :) Well done for staying calm and for working together like a team. Mallory is VERY lucky to have you both!

dalendawn727 said...

The problem would have been solved much simplier if you had just sang the next line of The Hokie Pokie!
Dad

Janie said...

OH, poor Mallory! No permanate damage done I presume? I'm glad you got her out of there. It is so scary for kids when they are stuck. Miss you guys.

Jer said...

Wow...You guys have your handful!