Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 7, 2011

13.1


WooHoo! I did it again! Yesterday I finished another 1/2 Marathon! 13.1 miles baby! I really do enjoy running! This race was the San Francisco Kaiser half marathon, and I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful day. The sun was shining, no fog in sight. I had a pretty even keel pace for the first 9 miles, then booked it for the last 4. Durring the last 4 miles I would set little goals (just past that person in all black or just run faster then the person in the maroon hat...)! I had fun. Once again I really didn't train for it. Because prior to this week the weather has been cold, dark and rainy. I mean who can properly train in the winter anyway. Not me, that's for sure. But despite the lack for training I did beat my time from 3 months ago... I came in at 2 hours and 13 minuets and 27 seconds (4 minutes faster then last time)!!!! So I am happy about that. I placed a little over 1/2 way in my age group and in the top 1/3 of the race.
It was a very warm race (I don't think people were expecting it) and sadly tragedy did strike. Less then 2 minutes before I crossed the finish line a 36 year old man collapsed and died at the finish line! When I got there there were people preforming CPR. It is still unknown why he died. All I can think of though is this poor guys family! Just think, he probably kissed them goodbye, was feeling fine, just off to have a fun run in the city... and then never came home. Last night as I was drifting off to sleep all I could think of was that his family is going to bed for the first time without their husband/dad/son/lover/friend... so please pray of them.

2 comments:

Janie said...

First of all I am so proud of you!! You amaze me. That is so sad and tragic about that man. 36 is so young. I wonder if he had a heart defect he didn't know about or something. His poor family.

It's so fun to see you and Carrie doing that together.

Ok, I'm going to bed now at 9:26 in the morning. Part of the lame life of Janie. Have a great day.

Heffe said...

Good job Jessie!!!
Makes me miss the city.