Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Don't Choke!!!!


Last night I had my first (of many to come I'm sure) mommy freak out moment! Mallory was sitting in her highchair enjoying a dissolvable baby teething cookie while Matthew and I were right next to her in the kitchen getting dinner ready. We were both happily prepping dinner, each of us glancing up at our little girl as she mutilated the poor cookie. Sonny was laying at the base of her chair waiting for any little crumb that she might drop. I had my back turned to her as I was making the pasta sauce when I heard this quiet choking sound. I quickly turned around and there was my little baby staring at me, wide eyed and blue lips!!!!! I was at her highchair in 3 steps. My first thought was get her out of there! so I pulled her up... forgetting that I had buckled her in for safe keeping... so needless to say that didn't do anything. By this time Matthew was right behind me, and Sonny was trying to move out of the way of falling highchair parts as I tor the tray off.
Now I know there is debate about the proper way to clear the airway... finger sweep vs Heimlich... but all I could think about was getting that cookie out of her throat. So I went with the finger sweep (since she was still sitting and locked into her highchair). My index finger swept from left to right and hooked the very mushy cookie. It came out intact!!! Mallory lips went back to rosie pink and she looked at me, grunted her thanks and opened her mouth for more cookie.
I stood there shaking my head at her. Man even in the face of death all she can think about is eating (what a Klein)! :)
Over diner Matthew had asked me what I was going to do if the finger sweep hadn't worked. So I told him that while I was doing Running over to her I was already thinking about my steps/choices... finger sweep then Heimlich then 911 then a tracheotomy.
Oy vey!

4 comments:

Janie said...

It is always scary when your children choke! I hope for you it doesn't happen again, but it probably will. My kids do it so often I have learned to be completely relaxed about it. My mom freaks every time though. I tell her relax, she still making noise, she'll get it out. It helps to know the Heimlick but I don't know how to preform a tracheotomy.

It's awesome that it didn't deter her from eating!! That made me laugh.

Brianna said...

Wow, performing a trach "in the field" would be quite a feat Dr. Klein. Well done with your first of many mommy freak out moments.

familyof5 said...

ugh...I hate it when they start having those moments. I had one choke on a pb and j sandwhich. I skipped the finger sweep, and went right to "rip-her-out-of-the-chair-hang-her-upside-down-by-the-ankles-and-pound-her-on-the-back-while-simultaneously-crying-and-screaming-for-help" manuever. It worked.

Katie said...

What a scary moment! Glad the finger sweep worked so poor Mallory was able to breath again quickly!
You are an awesome mom!