Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dream

OK, so Matthew told me that I didn't need to write about this. That it's awful and people don't need to hear it. But I can't be the only one to have a dream like this, so I wanted to share. Sorry if you find it disturbing... So did I.
The night before last I had this dream:
I felt as though I was laying down, surrounded by water. (You know when you take a bath and you put your head under but not your mouth, nose and eyes... but your ears are under so you can hear your breathing and your heart beating really loud. You can also hear voices talking, but they sound sort of muffled and if you try, you can make out what they say or you can just tune them out if you want?) Well that's what it felt and sounded like. Looking down on me were 6 ladies (I know that one was my mom, one was Janie, and one was one of the gals I work with... I'm not sure who the others were, but I'm pretty sure I felt like I knew them). All the ladies were talking to me and trying to get me to do things/hand me things. But I didn't move... I couldn't move. So I said 'I just feel like I'm paralyzed.' Then all the ladies looked at each other and with a look of sorrow and pity they looked back at me and one said 'that's how your supposed to feel when your baby dies.'
BAM!
The dream was over!
I sat right up in bed! With out even trying to understand what was going on I stumbled out of bed and rushed down the hall towards Mallory's bedroom. I was sick to my stomach! WAS my baby dead? Why would I have such a horrible dream? I need to see my little girl! I didn't even have my barrings about me, my head was spinning, it was dark and I know that I fell against the wall a time or two as I fumbled down the hallway. Without even trying to be quite I opened Mallory's bedroom door and leaned over her crib wondering to myself is she ok? Is she breathing? Is she ALIVE????? I held my breath and leaned my ear close to her sweet little chubby face, straining to hear any signs of life. My knees practically gave out if relief when I felt her sweet exhale against my cheek. My baby is alive and all is right with the world.
I tiptoed back to my bed, climbed under the still warm covers and lay there. My heart still racing and my head still reeling. All I could think about was how incredible the power of a dream is and how amazing it is that someone that has only been in my life for 4 1/2 months has such a tight hold on me. On my heart, my breath, my survival!

3 comments:

Brianna said...

It's ok to post something like that. Let your psychologist friend be the first to comment:

This has nothing to do with Mallory. You are just super stressed and your mind went to the darkest place it could think of to provide you insight to that stress. If you would have had this dream before Mallory was born, you would have been dreaming about the worst thing you could think of at the time--or maybe you wouldn't be so stressed :) I am sorry that you had to experience this. It's awful. My mom told me countless times about a dream she had where Michael was drowning in the pool and she just couldn't reach him. Welcome to parenthood--these damn kids reach right into our subconscious too!

Try to take it easy Dr. Mom.

Love you AND Mallory :)

Janie said...

I swear all parents have a dream about their children dieing. It's horrible! It always takes me a while to get over it. I'm sorry you had such a yucky dream. But it's not so, so enjoy your sweet baby.

familyof5 said...

Ugh. I hate those kind of dreams! I have had the swimming pools ones. One kid at one end, another kid at the other end. Both going under water...which do I try to save. Wake up crying, sweating, feeling horrible because in my dream I actually chose one over the other....
Can't even laugh about them later, they are too horrible to joke about...
You are certainly not alone!