Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, April 14, 2014

Freak Out

Oh my goodness! I had a HECK of a scare yesterday! I mean one that I still get all jittery about even 14 hours after it happened!!!!
Yesterday my dad and Matthew were putting together a beautiful HUGE play structure for the kids. You know one of those beautiful wooden ones from Costco (except they got it off craigslist). So there is wooden beams, screws, bits and power tools all over the place, Matthew and dad are hard at work, they bigger kids are playing in the sand (and underfoot occasionally), Darren is in his swing in the shade and mom and I are moving patio-bricks.
Next thing I know, Mallory is screaming! I look up and see her running to Matthew, the DeWalt power drill sticking out of her HEAD!!!!!!!! Matthew is screaming at her to stop! Stop! STOP! As he reaches her the sound of the drill stops and that when I realize that she has been holding down the trigger that entire time! I rushed to my baby girl fully expecting to be dealing with blood, a fractured scull and potential brain trauma! As I reached her I saw that Matthew was supporting the drill and there was NO blood! (first thought was that the drill bit was just occluding the blood supply... so do I leave it in and risk potential intracranial hemorrhage or remove it and risk extracranial hemorrhage?)
Turns out neither!!!!!!!!!!
As my hand went to her head I was relieved to feel there was NO DRILL BIT! She had picked up the drill and turned it on and her hair had become entangled in it... the more she pressed the trigger the tighter it wound... which was why she was screaming. It was literally pulling her hair, not drilling into her scull!!!! THANK GOD!
I yelled for mom to grab the scissors, but somehow my dad was already half ways across the yard on his way.
Moments later he was back with them, and a thick 'snip' of hair later she was free!!!!!
As I pressed her to my chest I had to suppress my urge to cry and vomit all at once!
That fear was horrible. The potential was horrible. I have since thanked God countless times for keeping her safe and just letting it be hair that we were having to cut!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a lighter note, but still sad (an highly annoying) Wesley has Hand, Foot and Mouth disease! He's over the body rash/fever stage, and now we are at the painful oral blister and very cranky stage! We are cleaning everything continuously and practically quarantining Darren to keep him from getting it too!

3 comments:

dalendawn727 said...

Thank God she wasn't really hurt...it was just a drill!
Dad

Janie said...

OH. MY. GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To both things. I am sick! I'm thanking God right now that it wasn't her head! That is horrible! Shaving her head would be better than having it go into her skull. I may have nightmares for you for the next week! I'm so sorry.

I can't believe your poor guy has hand foot and mouth! Could Mallory have had it? On a selfish note, I'm glad my kids didn't get it! I pray Darren doesn't. Good luck mama!

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh!!!!! I'm just catching up on the blog (way overdue!) and I can't believe I never heard this story in all the times I've seen you!! Even though it's long since passed, I'm feeling sick just thinking about it too! How scary!! So very thankful she is ok!