Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Our Little Mongolian


Let me start out by saying that this is a 'Mongolian spot' before you all freak out and think that Matthew and I are spanking Mallory already! Mongolian spots marks are a congenital, hereditary developmental condition exclusively involving the skin. Its scientific name is Congenital dermal melanocytosis. Mallory was born with this cute little mark despite the fact that it is extremely prevalent among children of color... aka anything Non-white, such as;East Asians (95%), Polynesians (90%), Native Americans (85-90%), East Africans (90-95%) and Latin American (46%). As far as I know neither Matthew or I are any of the above and the incidence among Caucasians from Europe is ONLY between 1-10%... so Matthew and I are wondering where/who this spot came from!? So we have a request to all of our family members that read this blog, do any of you/ your kids have this spot? We would love to know which side the spot comes from and see if we could track the ancestry of it. A few other facts about Mongolian spots, they normally disappears three to five years after birth and almost always by puberty. The most common color is blue, although they can be blue-gray, blue-black or even deep brown and are found almost always in the lumbosacral area (lower back), the buttocks, flanks, and shoulders.

5 comments:

Katie said...

How interesting! I love when the doctor side of you comes out! It is always a learning experience, one that I enjoy! :)

Janie said...

Well, I am not any of those things either and I am not technicality blood related either. Sorry I couldn't help. But look at how chubby your baby is getting!! Alright, go Mallory! I love it.

Bob and Dottie's Big Adventure said...

I've never seen it on any of my children or grandchildren. Sure is a cute little butt though :) Wish I were there to give it a little pinch-------it's a grammy thing.

Kevin said...

She is going to be so happy with you, later in life, when she finds out how many pictures of her butt have been made available for world-wide viewing.

Brianna said...

Kevin--you stole my comment :)

Jessie--Is Matt getting suspicious? Do you think he knows about your Mongolian man on the side???