Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Yikes!

OK, I think that I may just sit here and have a mini heart attack! I just finished what was supposed to be a routine mass removal and dental.... and it was NOTHING but routine! The plan was to take off 5 small masses in both mammary chains from a 10 year old male dog and while the dog was knocked out do a dental too. I didn't get to one of the masses or the dental because the dog STOPPED breathing 3 times and his heart STOPPED once!!!!! Yikes! These are the type of things about my job that I do not like! I hate that I have to fight to keep my heart rate and blood pressure under control, as I am pushing all sorts of revitalizing drugs into this dogs veins, barking out orders for one of the technicians to breath for the dog (since it's hooked up to the anesthetic machine) and having the other monitor all his vitals/get all the things I need, increasing fluids and stopping the gas flow... all the while stopping the bleeding and closing the incision site.
Uhgggg!
But rest assured the dog is now fine, and is awake and happy in his cage. He still has one very small mammary mass that I didn't get to take off and still has a horrendous set of teeth... but as I explained to the owner; it's better to have the dog alive and breathing on his own then the alternative (dead but with a clean set of teeth).
wwwwwooooooohhhhhhhooooooooooo
I'm going to go and pass out now.

4 comments:

Katie said...

Wow...crazy day!
Now you have peeked my curiousity! What causes this type of reaction? Condition and age of the dog?

You are one amazing Vet!

Jessica said...

Just like some people can't hangle anesthisa... some animals can't handle it too. That's why we always have the owners sign a consent/risk form prior to anesthitizing any animal. But the dog was 11 too... so that is getting old(er).

Janie said...

Holy cow!! That sounds VERY stressful! I'm so glad the dog lived. What a terrible thing to have to tell an owner that there pet died. Please don't have a heart attack! We also don't want news that our favorite vet/best friend/mom/amazing wife/daughter/and pain in the... died :) Love you :)

Jer said...

good job getting him back! those are awful situations!