Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Internal Emotional Dilemma (almost)

Uhhhg! So the other day at work I (almost) really big emotional dilemma... which got me thinking, 'What would I do?'
Ok, here is the back story. This couple brought in a very, very, very cute and totally sweet 13 week old puppy who fell off a 4-wheeler and fractured her femur. The couple were really very nice but didn't have much money (a really common theme in this economy). Due to the type and location of the fracture I would have to put a rod thought the femur and then place a K.E. until (the metal bars that stick out of the leg). I discounted it as much as I could because they had told me of their financial position, but when I gave them the cost they were still unsure if they could afford it. One of the first things that they said was "She's just a puppy and we haven't invested much time in her and that's a lot of money, we might have to just put her down."
I left the room, to give them a moment to talk about it, all the while trying to compose myself/figure out what I was going to do. I was in a rock and a hard place. This was my train of though... 'I have already made it cheaper then ANYWHERE else.... probably cheaper then I should, the leg is way to bad to heal on it's own, there's no way of splinting/casting it, she is so sweet I don't know if I could kill her, if I fix it for free I'll be known as a push-over.... I could have them surrender her to me, then I could fix her and find her a new home/keep her.... but then that doesn't seem fair to them... '
Thankfully they decided to let me fix her leg... the surgery when without a hitch. She went home yesterday and is doing great!
But it got me thinking, if they said 'put her down'... what would I have done?

4 comments:

Janie said...

Seriously, that's terrible! I don't know what I would have done.I don't think I could have put her down. I'm so glad they had her leg fixed. See, this is why I do not have animals. I know I don't have the money to take care of them. It would kill me as an owner, as well, to have to make that kind of decision. I say, I would have fixed her and sold her. Better that then kill a beautiful new life.

Hard stuff Lady.

Brianna said...

Didn't they make you take ethics courses in Vet school? j/k of course. I bet you would have fixed the dog anyway. Just ask yourself "WWDDD?" AKA What would Dr. Dave do?

You're amazing. I am in awe of what you do every day. Keeping on rockin'.

Katie said...

What a tuff situation. Glad they decided to fix her up so you wouldn't have to make that tough decision.

Jer said...

yeah, it's crummy. I've spent about $1000 over the last year of my own money on things like this, on top of dr. discounts. I'm glad you don't get put in this situation that often, and you're at a place that will support you in your altruism.
the last option, which i know is a little far, is the UCD student surgery...amputation for 300-500.