Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 28, 2012

Knees


My knees soul purposes in life are to torture me. Honest. In 1995 I had my first ACL repair (I was only in 8th grade), followed by another ACL repair on the opposite knee in 1998. My meniscus in the first 'bad' knee went up in flames in 2001, both have been holding pretty 'steady' for the past 11 years. (And by steady I mean, pop, creak, lock, swell and stiffen with any change in the weather or strenuous exercise). I'm sure you are thinking then why in the world do I run.... well, because I’m crazy. And at this point I have given up so many other things because of my knees; Basketball, soccer, skiing, jumping on trampolines (not that my bladder would allow for that any way)... so I need something. And I love to run. Any way.... a month before the lasts half marathon I kind of tweaked my left knee (The one that has only had 1 of the 3 surgeries). I rested it for 2 weeks, it felt great. I ran, it felt great. Woohoo. Wednesday I went for a little 4 mile run and half way through my knee kind of hurt. Being the bull-headed lady I am, I pushed on. 1/8th of a mile to go I had to walk/limp back. It was KILLING me. I iced it. I elevated it. It still hurt. I saw the doctor yesterday and tonight I get to have an MRI. Sigh! It feels like meniscus again. But I would really appreciate any and all prayers because I really am not in the mood for another knee surgery. Besides if I needed another one, I'm afraid that my Dad would guilt me into never running again. ;)

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guilt,Schmilt...sometimes you just have to do the SMART thing!! Besides, chasing Shoebutton around should be enough. And just you wait till Wesley gets going. Now THAT will be a marathon!!
Dad

Anonymous said...

Well, what can I say except that you should take care of your knees. I'm here to tell you that after having both of mine replaced I couldn't run (fast) if my life depended on it. Make your real ones last as long as possible!

love you, Aunt Dottie

Brianna said...

Being a witness to the first two calamities, I would say "take up swimming, woman." This is like watching Michael continue to play rugby after breaking his face and snapping his Achilles (among many many other ailments).

jer said...

Do we have verdict on the knees? :(

Janie said...

Boo Hiss... I can't believe you are having more knee problems. i second Brie; swim swim swim.