Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Home Improvement

I think I might have a problem… I’m pretty sure that I am addicted to home improvement projects. I love the challenge of transforming something that I already have in my home that I am not super in love with, into something that I love, love, love and did myself (for way cheap).
My latest project has been taking those ugly 1980’s shiny oak cabinets that are in both bathrooms and the kitchen and bringing them into the 21st century. (So for I have done both bathrooms, it only took 4 days… and that was due to drying time). The kitchens next on the list but is going to take considerably longer because I’m going to re-paint the walls and try my hand at tiling too.
Anyway, back to the bathrooms… I removed all the doors and drawers, power sanded it ALL down (drawers, doors and bases), primed and sealed, sanded again, painted 1st layer (I used a color called espresso bean), sanded again, then did another 1-2 paint coats (depending on the area and how it covered). I think it turned out beautiful… and with minimal visible paint strokes!!!!! As I was about to replace the doors, I realized that the old hinges were a sickening gold/brown/rust color. So I cleaned then and spray painted then a mat-silver color. I added some cute new pulls to the drawers and cabinets and some new towels in the guest bathroom, and Ta-Da!!!!!! All for $157!!!! (Double Ta-Da). It’s a ton of work, but I’m hoping that since I took all the proper steps it’ll stands up to wear and tear.





I think the most difficult part of the entire thing (as side from allowing adequate drying time) was keeping the kids out/off/away from it all. I utilized books, nap-time, snacks… and a FEW Curious George episodes. Today as I was using the power drill to create the holes for the pulls Wesley was watching in deep fascination… after a few minutes, he reached out his hand, touched the drill gently, grunted twice (as if giving his approval) and walked away! It cracked me up! He’ll already in love with power-tools and he’s only 15 months! SUCH a boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your addiction ever needs a fix, me casa es su casa.
dad

Michelle said...

Looks awesome! Can't wait to check it out in person! You're so amazing!

Janie said...

You kill me with your talents! That looks amazing. You know if I lived close to you I would force you to help me with home improvement projects. I would bribe you with my mom's carmel rolls or something:)